Clarendon restaurant will offer a variety of dishes, cocktails to jazz up the weekend
Bar Ivy will debut its brunch service this weekend. The Coastal-themed eatery, featuring seasonal dishes with a West Coast bent, will begin Sunday, October 2, from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Next weekend, Saturday brunch will debut Saturday, October 8 and run from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Mid-Atlantic ingredients and fresh vegetables and produce will play a leading role in brunch, particularly with everything prepared in house. House cured pork belly, lamb and mushroom bacons; as well as freshly baked crumpets, sourdough loaves and Hawaiian rolls, reflect this approach by chef Jonahtan Till and chef/owner Nathan Beauchamp.
It so happens that chef Till’s grandmother once owned a brunch restaurant and first instilled in him a love of food. He pays homage to his grandmother “Tutu” (Hawaiian for “grandmother”) through Bar Ivy’s brunch offerings.
- Signature, homemade bread & butter service – currently Hawaiian Bread rolls with miso honey butter and apple butter;
- Greek yogurt Parfait – sprinkled with a family-recipe granola from chef Till’s grandmother’s cookbook
- fresh berries and local honey
- A lightly Seared Little Gem salad – topped with house lamb pancetta, egg and pecorino crisp
Dishes with Virginia’s Linda Vista Farms’ produce
This peak-season produce is featured prominently in these dishes
- A constantly-changing Quiche Du Jour – currently includes peppers, squash and onion
- Market Omelette – features seasonal veggies from the local Courthouse farmer’s market, which currently includes zucchini, peppers, mushroom, onion and swiss
- Harvest Bowl – grain-and-veggie bowl combining quinoa, farro, wild rice, roasted in-season vegetables, a shoyu egg and chili crisp
Bar Ivy hearty brunch entrees
Heartier brunch entrees include the following dishes:
- Croque Madame – ham, mornay, and a fried egg on sourdough
- unique Eggs Benedict using house-cured pork belly (with an option to sub in crab cakes), homemade crumpets and hollandaise
- Open-faced Avocado BLT – layers house pork belly bacon (with a vegetarian option for house mushroom bacon), tomato jam, fresh avocado and lettuce on sourdough
- A brunch-meets-lunch Patty Melt – sandwiches angus beef, swiss, Russian dressing and onion between homemade toasted rye bread (chef Till toasts and hand-grinds the rye berries himself for the bread)
BHG beverage director Ian Fletcher created refreshing riffs on classics, and added some classics, too:
- Bruncharita – showcases a citrus trio of kalamansi, blood orange and lime alongside Casamigos Reposado tequila
- Green-hued Michelada Verde – drink spiced up with tomatillo, poblano, barrel-aged hot sauce, Pacifico Mexican beer and a Tajin rim;
- Peachy gummy-garnished I Dream of Bellini – mixed with peach liqueur, lemon and prosecco
- Classic Mimosas featuring fresh-squeezed OJ
- Bloody Marys, prepared with a house spicy tomato mix and pickled veggie garnish
Coffee cocktails, beer, wine
Bar Ivy’s morning coffee is served from its patio café kiosk. Its coffee cocktails bring on the buzz:
- Traditional Irish Coffee – (inspired by the iconic Buena Vista Café in San Francisco) with Jameson whiskey, brown sugar, local Passenger coffee and heavy cream
- Two-ingredient Brew Ha – pairing Licor Strega with espresso.
- Selection of natural wines and craft beers
The restaurant notes that reservations are available via Resy but walk-ins are also welcomed to join if space is available.
Bar Ivy, 3033 Wilson Boulevard, Arlington, VA 22201
About the publisher.