New, returning dishes make their way on the menu; soul-warming brunch treats, too
La Famosa in Navy Yard updated its menu ahead of the fall season. The Puerto Rican cafe’s culinary team, led by Chef Joancarlo Parkhurst, are introducing new creations and returning some popular dishes.
Some notable items include the Croquetas de Bacalao. La Famosa launched an expanded weekend brunch menu, too, with new pastry and savory items. In the spotlight during brunch are housemade Mallorca Cinnamon Rolls, Pastelillo de Mañana,which is a puff pastry filled with beef picadillo, scrambled eggs, and cheddar cheese.There’s also El Clasico breakfast sandwich, comprising thick-cut applewood smoked bacon, an over easy egg, and mezcla—a cheese spread made with ham and pimento peppers, served on a Mallorca roll with chef’s breakfast sauce.
All-day menu additions
Guests can order these hearty, flavorful all-day items any day. Here is how the cafe described new and returning dishes:
- El Gallego: Flash-fried calamari, lemon, and sweet peppers served on a toasted brioche bun with caper remoulade ($15); also available as a composed dish, sans brioche bun-Calamari Frita ($15)
- Sopa de Mariscos: Puerto Rican inspired soup composed of a spicy seafood broth made with aji amarillo and coconut cream, arroz blanco, salt cod, shrimp, and calamari topped with aji amarillo sauce, green onion and lime. ($22)
- Croquetas de Bacalao: House-cured salt fritters topped with fried capers and served with crema verde sauce ($12)
- Parcha Brazo Gitano: Chef Parkhurst’s version of the traditional Swiss roll cake made with passionfruit cream ($7.50)
The cafe serves brunch items on weekends from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m .Here’s the list La Famosa provided with its descriptions:
- El Rollo: House-made tamarind glazed meatloaf topped with an over easy egg and crispy fried onions, served on a toasted brioche bun with tamarind ketchup ($14)
- Bistec al Caballo: Marinated strip steak topped with two eggs over easy and served with Puerto Rican style fried rice ($25)
- El Clasico: Breakfast sandwich composed of thick cut applewood smoked bacon, an over easy egg, and mezcla (a cheese spread made with ham and pimento peppers) served on a Mallorca roll with chef’s breakfast sauce ($9)
- Pastelillo de Carne: Puff pastry filled with house-made beef picadillo ($4)
- Pastelillo de Mañana: Puff pastry filled with beef picadillo, scrambled eggs and cheddar cheese ($4.50)
- Mallorca Cinnamon Roll: Puerto Rican cinnamon roll made with homemade mallorca roll and topped with cream cheese icing ($4.50)
- Jamon y Queso Croissant: Freshly baked croissant stuffed with ham and mozzarella cheese ($4)
La Famosa, 1300 4th Street Southeast, Washington, DC 20003
About the publisher.