Spring mashup of Cinco de Mayo, Kentucky Derby celebrations arrives May 5
Hi-Lawn, the expansive rooftop above Union Market, is readying “Cinco de Derby,” a combo of the Cinco de Mayo and Kentucky Derby spring celebrations. The Hi-Lawn Cinco de Derby will take place May 5 to May 8.
Expect to see live bluegrass music and DJ sets throughout the weekend. There will also be a bounty of themed food and drink specials to be enjoyed.
Music, games and more
On Saturday, May 7, from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m., Maryland-based Rock Creek Revival, an all-acoustic bluegrass band, will play. Meanwhile, DJ Steve Lemz will be preparing his tunes, coming on from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. In addition, DJs Steve Lemz and Keenan Orr will play festive music Sunday, May 8, from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.
Attendees at Hi-Lawn can bring on the hat and dress up, too, on Sunday for the hat contest at 5:30 p.m. Guests can also participate in several games, including cornhole, life-sized chess, giant Connect Four, and more.
Cinco de Derby food and drink
As far as drinks go, here’s a rundown of the classics Bar Director Ian Fletcher’s has in store:
- Mint Julep: Woodford Reserve, mint, brown sugar
- Paloma: El Jimador Silver, grapefruit soda, agave, lime
- Classic ‘Rita: Herradura Silver, triple sec, agave, lime
- Cadillac ‘Rita: Herradura Reposado, Grand Marnier, triple sec, agave, lime
The outdoor space will also offer Hi-Lawn’s regular drink menu. Customers can order adult juice boxes, beer, wine, canned seltzers and cocktails, and zero-proof beverages, too.
All food and drink will be sold a la carte throughout the Hi-Lawn Cinco de Derby event. Food specials include
- Kentucky hot brown-inspired Derby Dog: hot dog topped with mornay, bacon and scallions
- Country-Style Pulled Pork Nachos: topped with 24-hour pulled pork, pickled jalapeños, diced tomato, cheddar, and mornay dip
Hi-Lawn (on the rooftop of Union Market), 1309 5th Street Northeast, Washington, DC 20002
About the publisher.