Food-drink pairings accompanied by virtual events headline this year’s celebration
Washington, DC Cocktail Week, organized by the Restaurant Association of Metropolitan Washington (RAMW), has returned. Local restaurants will offer this year’s special cocktail pairings for indoor and outdoor dining, and also for pickup, delivery, and at select bars and eateries, curbside pickup. More than 75 restaurants and bars have signed up to participate this year.
Also, seven virtual events arrive to pique foodie and cocktail/mocktail enthusiasts’ interest and offer some interactive dialogue, educational experiences and unique perspectives during DC Cocktail Week 2020. On Thursday, November 19, at 6 p.m., RAMW will host The Art of Cocktail & Food Pairing, presented by Bacardi. Eun Yang, News4 Today Anchor/Reporter will host award-winning chef and bar teams from four of Washington’s top restaurants as they engage in a dialogue of the marriage of food and spirits.
Chef Geoff’s in the West End will feature a Hot Buttered Rum with Brussels Sprouts and a to-go (only) cocktail kit. At Gerrard Street Kitchen, the restaurant team is welcoming diners with the Naughty & Spice, which is Bourbon-based with homemade spiced syrups and apple. Guests can pair it with the Mesquite Smoked Pork Belly accompanied with Jalapeño homemade muffins, apple slaw and smoked house barbecue sauce.
To discover participating DC Cocktail Week restaurants, navigate to the website.
Over at Officina on the Wharf, the bar has lined up a hearty cocktail and a few cocktail kits to take home. Robusto and an Arancino feaures Ardbeg 10 year Scotch, Amontillado Sherry, Benedictine, Don Ciccio Concerto, and Demerara Syrup, paired with a classic Arancino. There are three Cocktail Kits To Go in addition to a to-go version of the Robusto, and each one serves four people. Try the kits for Manhattan (Bourbon, Sweet Vermouth, and Bitters), Vespers (Gin, Vodka, and Cocchi Americano), and Negronis (Gin, Campari, and Sweet Vermouth).
2020 DC Cocktail Week Virtual Events
Check out the virtual events below. A $1 minimum donation to the Worker Relief Fund provides access to registration.
Monday, November 16, 2020 – 5:30 p.m.: What’s In Your Home Bar? Secrets of Great At-Home Cocktails
- Featuring: Duane Sylvestre, Campari Group Representative, Cocktail Expert, and RAMMYS Cocktail Program of the Year Winner and 5x Finalist
- Followed by: Rum Talk with Chef Peter Prime and Duane Sylvestre
- From RAMMYS New Restaurant of the Year Cane, spend time with acclaimed Chef Peter Prime and Campari Group’s Duane Sylvestre as they explore rum, talk island food and drink pairings, and cook and mix drinks!
- Moderator: Nevin Martell, DC-Based food and travel writer, parenting essayist, and photographer
Tuesday, November 17, 2020 – 7:00 p.m.: Industry Night with Nycci Nellis on Tommy McFLY and Kelly Collis’ Real.Fun.DC.
Industry Night brings you up close and personal with the trends and trendsetters across today’s diverse food, wine, spirits, brews and hospitality landscape. Tune in to join Nycci as she talks cocktails with the region’s best restaurants.
Wednesday, November 18, 2020 – 5:00 p.m.: It’s 5:00 Somewhere in the World! Global Cocktails and Conversation from Capital Cities Around the World, presented by Perrier
- Join Mr Lyan himself, Ryan Chetiyawardana, the “World’s Most Influential Bar World Figure” and winner of the 2020 Best American Cocktail Bar award for Silver Lyan at Riggs Washington, DC for a special industry talk with Editor-in-Chief of PUNCH Magazine, Talia Baiocchi. Welcome special guest bartenders from around the globe for a live on Zoom conversation on cocktails, the influence of capital cities around the globe and how they look to reflect the people, culture, history, future and landscape of a place. Be part of the fun as Mr Lyan his guest talents talk shop, make drinks, and share culture and recipes too
- Featuring: Ryan Chetiyawardana, A.K.A. Mr Lyan, Silver Lyan, White/Super Lyan, Cub, Dandelyan/Lyaness; Stephanie Polly Simbo, Behind Bars Akademia; Global Brand Manager Plantation Rums; Cape Town, South Africa; Liz Furlong, Maza Bistro, Bebedero, San Jose, Costa Rica; Chef Johnny Spero, Reverie, Washington, DC; and Vijay Mudaliar, Native Cocktail Bar, Singapore
Thursday November 19, 2020 – 6:00 p.m.: Food & Drink – The Art of Cocktail & Food Pairing, presented by Bacardi
- Award-winning Chef and Bar teams at four of DC’s top restaurants come together for a conversation on the marriage of food and spirits as they cook and bartend in delicious collaboration
- Moderator: Eun Yang, News4 Today Anchor/Reporter
- Featuring: Maydan and Compass Rose: Chef Paola Velez, Executive Pastry Chef and Jess Weinstein, Development and Drinks; Serenata & Zumo: Andra Johnson Managing Partner & Beverage Director and Tatiana Mora Chef & Partner; Daikaya Izakaya: Chef/Partner Katsuya Fukushima and Beverage Director Nalee Kim; Jack Rose Dining Saloon: Chef Russell Jones; and Beverage Director Andy Bixby
Friday, November 20, 2020 – 4:00 p.m.: Who Said It Has to Be Liquid!? Boozy Frozen Delights with Dolcezza’s Violeta Edelman and Robb Duncan, presented by Campari
Friday, November 20, 2020 – 5:00 p.m.: Brightest Young Things and Bacardi Present “Community + Cocktails”
- Bars and restaurants hold our communities together. They are the places we go to celebrate to congregate. They are our homes away from home. But we don’t just go to bars for the ambience, food or drink — we also go for the people. Join us on this Friday before Thanksgiving week as three of the most vibrant, community involved young bartenders mix some drinks for you, and catch up with artists, musicians, comedians and other creatives that make our community something worth cheering for
- Featuring: Andra Johnson of Serenata, Frank Mills of Roy Boys and Al Thompson of Thip Khao
Sunday, November 22, 2020 – 3:00PM: NON-PROOF: Alcohol free and low-proof cocktails and conversation
- In the past few years, in response to the rise of the sober-curious movement, a growing number of new brands and “mocktails” have entered our world, as nonalcoholic replacements for traditional spirits, but intended with the same purpose: sippable, mixable, complex drink ingredients intended to be enjoyed by adults. Join us for an afternoon of recipes, demos and conversations with some of the brightest, most creative voices working in the space today.
- Featuring: Derek Brown, spirits and cocktail expert, owner of award-winning Columbia Room, and author of Spirits, Sugar, Water, Bitters: How the Cocktail Conquered the World; Julian Bainbridge, James Beard Award-nominated food and beverage writer and editor, whose stories have been published in The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, The Washington Post, and Food & Wine, among others; Lauren Paylor, award-winning bar expert, formerly of Drink Co.; and Silver Lyan, and co-founder and owner of Focus On Health
- Sponsored by Perrier and Bacardi North America
About the publisher.