Award-winning BBQ headed to Clarendon neighborhood
Smokecraft Modern Barbecue, a new Clarendon, Arlington barbecue destination, complete with a championship pedigree, will open its doors, and smokers, on July 31. The owner and pitmaster, Andrew Darnelle, delayed the spring opening of the restaurant to develop plans to comply with safety guidelines erected by the CDC and the Commonwealth of Virginia. A rapid takeout program will also be in place.
Working with a creative and caring staff, Darnelle was able to readjust tables to accommodate social distancing and put up the menu on screens to minimize contact. Prior to the brick-and-mortar restaurant, Smokecraft Championship BBQ is quite renowned, having won over 70 awards in 2019. At York County BBQ,Festival, they won Reserve Grand Champions and KCBS Pork Team of the Year Finalist awards.
William Burke, who cut his teeth at Bull and Bird Steakhouse, Revival Social Dinner, and The Smith Restaurant in Burton, Ohio, has been tapped as the Smokecraft executive chef. As a self-trained chef, Burke has the goods for success and he has his own barbecue heritage that spans Southern and Midwestern kitchens. A fan of adding smoke and ash aspects into his barbecue cuisine, he also specializes in “everything from preserving and canning to low and slow barbecue,” announced the restaurant.
Smokecraft barbecue menu
Swizzle Chill TV previously reported on the barbecue joint’s opening. Smokecraft’s award-winning favorites are sure to attract many Arlingtonians:
- St. Louis Ribs and Wagyu brisket (entree)
- A modern take on smoked spaghetti squash (entree)
- Applewood-Smoked Chesapeake Crab Cakes (entree)
- Smoked Monte Cristo (brunch)
- Proper Chicken and Waffles (brunch)
Smokecraft offers brunch Saturday and Sunday mornings. “While these are challenging times to open a restaurant, we will continue to evolve our brand, while never waiving in our commitment to use the highest quality products to produce an amazing barbecue dining experience,” said Darneille.
At the 35-seat bar (during non-COViD-19 times), Lauren “LP” Paylor, Smokecraft chief mixologist, is taking no prisoners. Paylor draws on heat, smoke and baking spice as flavors that will elevate her craft and complement the Smokecraft menu. Here are some of the upcoming adult beverages:
- Smoke on the Water, a variation of the old fashioned with Catoctin Creek rye whiskey, spiced simple syrup, and aromatic bitters, smoked in a glass with wood chips
- The More, The Mary, a build-your-own bloody mary with an assortment of garnishes like roasted vegetables and candied applewood smoked bacon
- A low-ABV beverage option, the Summertime Punch, features green tea, lemon, spiced honey syrup, and sparkling wine for a light blend
Smokecraft upcoming operating hours
Smokecraft Modern Barbecue opens Monday through Thursday, from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m.; Fridays from 11 a.m. to 11 p.m.; Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 11 p.m.; and Sundays from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m.
Smokecraft Modern Barbecue, 1051 North Highland Street, Arlington, VA 22201
Photo credit: Smokecraft Modern Barbecue (preview image, inline)
About the publisher.