Guest bartender Morgan Barron on tap for event, held January 13
In the age of mocktails and lower-ABV (alcohol by volume) spirits, it’s fitting that Royal in LeDroit Park is hosting a Damp January event. The low-ABV cocktail pop-up, held from 8 p.m. to 1 a.m. on Monday, January 13, will help those looking for a healthier start in January, but not downright abstinence. The Royal pop-up features locally-made aperitifs, liqueurs and vermouths in $8 cocktails. The event is part of a “Royal Knights” takeover series, featured monthly.
Guest bartender Morgan Barron, of Don Ciccio & Figli’s Bar Sirenis and Barmini, and Royal bar managers Jake Kenny and Alonzo Freeman are taking over the night. Expect to see Italian-inspired aperitivi in unique tipples, such as a bitter shandy made with iron amaro, a buzzy matcha and espresso liqueur concoction, and an Amalfi-inspired spritz, all created by Barron.
Said Royal’s announcement, “…Jake Kenny and Alonzo Freeman get creative by combining Don Ciccio’s mandarin cello with house fermented tepache; using fennel liqueur in a dry, vegetal martini; and pairing oloroso sherry with roasted fruits for an indulgent frothy sip.”
Royal Damp January Drink Menu
Cocktails by Morgan Barron
- Don Ciccio Ferra Kina, Kumquat, Orgeat, Rye, Atlas Brew Works Stout
- Concerto Don Ciccio Concerto, Matcha, Dr. Bird Jamaican Rum, Oatmilk
- Living in America, Eye to Eye – Don Ciccio Luna, Juniper Tincture, Pinot Noir Vermouth
- Amalfi Fizz – Don Ciccio Ambrosia, Turmeric Cream, Egg White, Ginger Beer
Cocktails by Kenny and Freeman
- Summer in January – Don Ciccio Mandarinetto, housemade Tepache, Bitters
- See you on Mt. Olympus -Fig & Chocolate-infused Lustau Oloroso Sherry, Don Ciccio Ambrosia, Spiced Orange Bitters
- Trinita Martini – Don Ciccio Finocchietto, Sombra Mezcal, Lustau Blanc Vermouth, Salt
- Nightshift – Lustau Oloroso Sherry, Don Ciccio Concerto, Roasted Pineapple, Cane Sugar, Egg, Bitters
The kitchen will be open until 1 a.m. for late-night bites. Royal will also offer zero-proof cocktails for teetotalers in addition to $3 canned brews from Atlas Brew Works, a sponsor. Click over to the Latin-inspired all-day neighborhood spot’s website for more information.
Royal, 501 Florida Avenue Northwest, Washington, D.C. 20001
Photo credit: David Greenwood-Haigh + Armin Lofti
About the publisher.